Monday, November 25, 2013

First Ever 30 Mile Week! And Georgia Coast Rail-Trail (Woodbine) Review

I've been a bad, bad blogger lately.  I haven't been keeping up with my regular blogs, or writing my own.  I think it is the time of year.  It's not that I'm actually busier than normal... but my brain is.

  • What time should I serve Thanksgiving dinner?
  • What should I serve?
  • Can I get away with ham again this year?
  • Maybe I should ask someone else to make the turkey.
  • Oh my goodness!  Only ___ shopping days till Christmas???
  • How do I fit all this in my budget?
  • Should I shop the Black Friday sales or get everything online?
  • What in the world do I get my dad this year?
  • What in the world do I get my mom?
  • Why don't we just have a gift-free Christmas?  We could sit around and sing, eat and play games!  Think the kids would go for that???
  • OH NO!  I haven't even thought about cards!
  • Should I get a family photo?  one of the kids? just a regular card with no photo?
  • Why don't I just send everyone facebook greetings instead?
  • If I serve ham for Thanksgiving can I serve it for Christmas too?
  • Uh-oh!  I think the lights are out on some of that garland for the stairs.
  • Oh, please, please PLEASE let all the lights still work on the Christmas tree!
  • I've gotta lose 5 lbs... how am I gonna lose 5 lbs with all these parties and dinners?
  • What are we going to do for our anniversary?
  • Wait!  I have surgery on the 4th?  So, I won't be able to use my hand for a week?
  • I wonder if everyone would think me rude if I just checked into a hotel for the month of December.
  • How would I afford that with all these gifts I have to buy?
  • Wait... When did we decide was a good time for Thanksgiving dinner?
Play that on repeat day and night and that is pretty much my state of mind.  Somewhere in there, though, I manage to run.  It's the only way I know to stay sane!  And this week I ran

30.2 miles!

That is the first time I have ever run 30+ miles in a week!

As I have mentioned, I am trying to run 1,000 miles in 2013.  Since that fateful fall on Jan. 1st, I have spent all year playing catch up.  Finally, I am where I should be (897 miles!!!), but I face a third surgery on my hand next week and am trying to bank some miles for that.

Last week I was feeling bored with my regular running routes and so I went in search of a new one.  I discovered the Georgia Coast Rail Trail:



"The Georgia Coast Rail-Trail will be a 68-mile trail stretching from Kingsland north to Riceboro. Winding through lush green marshes, longleaf pines, and saw grass…crossing 43 beautiful tidal rivers and creeks…no trail in the nation can match it.

Spring 2010 marked the opening of the first 3.5-mile segment of the trail, at White Oak in Camden County, and another 2.75 miles in Woodbine was officially added to the trail in June 2011. The goal of the non-profit Georgia Coast Rail-Trail Inc. is to transform the entire abandoned CSX rail corridor into a 10-foot wide trail for walkers, cyclists, joggers, equestrians, and nature lovers."

I ran an out and back along the 2.75 mile trail in Woodbine Georgia.  The first 1.5 miles or so is... well... as straight as a rail (ha!) but the last mile+ is part of the Woodbine City  Greenway and is a little more meandering and scenic with cute little benches, light posts and decorative paths


The trail ended at the Satilla Riverwalk:



Which leads to the Waterfront Park with bathrooms!!!


I actually started and ended  at the park (since there was parking).  Total miles was about 5.8.  This was a great little running route and well worth the 13 mile drive.  I even returned 3 days later and let the kids ride their bikes while Brian and I ran.  It was great for that, since there are only 3 roads that you have to cross and, in such a small town, there was little to no traffic.  I highly recommend this trail if you are in the SE Georgia area!

I had such a great time "discovering" a new route, and it reminded me of one of the things I like most about running - exploration!  Lately, I've felt bogged down in the whole training regimen - Long Run, Tempo Run, Speed Run, Repeat.  And I have missed the simplicity of just running for the fun... for the excitement of discovery!  

Have you run in any new or different places lately?