Sunday, May 12, 2013

Today It's All About Me!

(My two youngest children, Levi and Grace)
I am a mom.
That is it.
I do not have another job or any outstanding skills.  No one says: "This is Mendy.  She's a wonderful cook (or writer or volunteer or nurse or accountant, or hair dresser)"  They say "This is Mendy - she has 6 kids!"

I was a bright child with a limitless future.  I really could have been anything I wanted to be.  When I married my husband, I was a college sophomore on full scholarship studying to be a mathematician.   But all I really wanted to be was a MOM.

So I became one.  Not a great mom, but an adequate and prolific one!  I've homeschooled all 6 of my children from kindergarten.  Two of my offspring are married and have jobs.  One even gave me a grandson!

My Grandson, Julien, spent Mother's day with his MiMi!

Another son graduated from college on Friday and has already been employed in his chosen career for 2 years.  I have one daughter with  a few months left of high school work and - of course - the 6 and 7 year olds.

Son #2 - college graduate!

Husband, Son # 2, Son #3, Son #1 and Adorable Grandson!

Daughter #2, Son #2, Daughter #3 and Daughter-in-law

I think my kids like me.  I don't quite fit the "mold" of a homeschooling mom.  I don't like to cook, do crafts, go on field trips or do science projects.  I've never been a smothering type mother, in fact, I border on neglectful at times.  Yet all my children are well-adjusted, like-able people who function well in the world and with those around them.  They all love the Lord and are active in their churches.  I am very proud of all 6 of them.

That is why Mother's Day - as contrived a holiday as it is - is very important to me.  It is the only day of the year where I feel like I really have done something worthwhile with my life.  The one day where I stand in amazement of all that I have accomplished.
Daughter #1 cooking Mother's Day dinner for me at her very first house with her new husband.


Most of the time, I just feel guilt.  Guilt that my house isn't clean enough, that my children don't eat balanced meals, that I don't make them brush their teeth enough, that I spend too much time on the computer, that I don't teach them foreign languages or chemistry or calculus like other homeschooling mothers.

But not today.  On this day, I look at the six awesome people that would never have existed without ME and I feel a sense of accomplishment.  And thankfulness.  Thankfulness that God has always been there to fill in the gaps that I have left.  To pick up the slack when I was too lazy or forgetful or tired.

Truth is, I was never called to be perfect.  I was called to be a mom.
And TODAY IS MY DAY!

(Updated to add that just now - at 10:55 pm on Mother's Day - I found out that my Son and Daughter-in-law are expecting a second child!   Perfect end to an awesome day!) 



Happy Mother's Day to all you beautiful moms!

May you run happy today!

1 comment:

  1. You sound like an amazing mom!!! Congrats on another grandchild!!!

    ReplyDelete