Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer is Kicking My Butt!

Well, it's June 21st - summer solstice and longest day of the year.
For South Georgians, that means that summer is just getting started.

And I already feel like giving up!

It is really hard for me to believe that I started running, last year, in this heat.  In fact, I can remember last August, laughing as I told someone that I'd never even run in temps below 80.

But this summer, I know better.  I know what it's like to run in temps below 70.  I know what it's like to actually "warm up" during the first warm up mile.  I know what it's like to run without sweat dripping into your eyes.  I know what it's like to slow down because your legs are exhausted, and not because your lungs just can't get enough oxygen through all the water in the air.


Yesterday was only 83 degrees.  That is relatively cool, and I actually felt quite excited to run.  My husband and I were just taking it easy - about an 11 minute pace.  By the end of the first mile I had to stop for a walk break.  By the 3rd mile, I was having to stop and walk every 1/2 mile.  By the end of mile 5, I had emptied my 21 oz. of water, and felt like I was gasping for air.  My mind was in a terrible battle.  It was telling me things like -

"You are not a runner!  You are just an over-weight wanna-be!  You have no endurance whatsoever!"

I honestly felt like crying.  I kept trying to remind myself of what a blessing it is to be able to run - of how much I love running and how awesome it is to be injury free!

Finally, I told my husband that I was feeling like a running failure.  He laughed.

"You know my friend Mark?  The one who runs all those marathons?  Would you consider him a real runner?

"Sure"

"Well, do you know what he doesn't do from June through September?"

"Run?"

That's right!  He only runs like 8 miles on Saturday mornings.  That's it!  Every time he sees us running past his office at work, he just shakes his head and calls us 'crazy'!"

hmmmmm...

Maybe I'm not such a failure.  Even if I was walking more than running by mile 6!



GLENN FREY - The Heat Is On by sofresh305