Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Don't Mind Me, I've Just Been Enjoying My Hamster Ball!

It's been 10 days since I updated this blog.

10 days.

I just haven't been able to bring myself to write
.
I've tried to.

Yesterday I opened a half-written post and stared at it for a good hour.  I googled the topic of the post, copied some images, and thought about it .  A lot.  But I didn't add a single word.  My mind wasn't blank - it was just too jumbled to get the thoughts out clearly.

Today, one of my friends linked the following on facebook:

Now I know what my problem has been!

I have just been enjoying my hamster ball!

Not only have I not been writing blogs - I haven't been reading them either.  According to Feedly, I have 120 blog posts (in the "Running" category) - just sitting there - patiently waiting for my attention.

I've just kind of withdrawn lately.  I even skipped church 2 of the last 3 weeks.

The irony is, that most of my IRL (in real life) friends would classify me as outgoing!  That's because I am pretty good at faking it.  I can act like the "life of the party" - but once I'm back home and all alone I just feel dirty and tired.

-dirty because I know I said and did a hundred stupid things.
-tired because the whole time I just wanted to retreat to my own little world... where it is safe, and warm, and I never have to face reality.

The other irony is that someone who loves quiet and solitude as much as me would give birth to 6 kids.  Don't tell me God doesn't have a sense of humor!

Actually - it's more like HE has a PLAN.  (duh!)  If I didn't have all these kids to keep me active and PRESENT, I fear I really would retreat into my own snug, little hamster ball.

Permanently!

Meanwhile - Running has been awesome!  I've finally found a summer-workable plan.

New Running Plan:

  1. Run after 8pm.  Previously I had been running around 6:30.  The extra 90 minutes really does make a difference.  The only problem is that at that time of day I am limited to running in and round my neighborhood - which I will not do alone!  So I am very blessed that my husband is able to run along with me most of the time.
  2. On the treadmill.  When Brian can't run with me, I use the treadmill (conveniently located in my den!)  I have been able to make it tolerable by alternating laps of running and walking (1/4 mile running fast then 1/4 mile walking)  I'm not sure this qualifies as real running, but it gets the job done without me having visions of taking a sledgehammer to the Nordic Track!
I've even been doing my long runs in the evening, because I just couldn't make it out early enough in the morning to not be sweltering by the end of the run.

If you are reading this, it means I hit "Publish".
-which means I stepped out of the hamster ball for a bit.  Or maybe I just let you in.  Either way, It indicates that my world is righting itself.

And that is a very good thing!

Please share with me how you are handling summer running?  Have you changed running times or paces?