Monday, October 14, 2013

The Best Run Ever! Week 6 Wrap-Up


I just ran the best run of my life!
No kidding!!
In fact, despite an ankle that keeps acting up and a diet that was out of control, I had the best week of training ever!


  • Days running: 4
  • Long run: 11 miles
  • Total miles: 24
  • # of totally awesome, pump-u-up runs: 2
  • Days strength training: 1 (at least I'm getting 1!)

The first TAPUUR (totally awesome, pump-u-up run) happened on Tuesday when I ran 3 X 1 mile repeats at a 9 minute pace.  What made this so exciting for me, was that I actually jogged during my rest intervals instead of walked!  I've never done that before.

The second TAPUUR happened last night.  I decided to run my Steady State 5 miles without looking at my Garmin.  Now - this is HUGE for me.  I'm a frequent Garmin peeker (FGP) and NEVER run without...well... frequently peeking!  However, somewhere in the first 1/4 mile of this run I wondered how fast I could go if I just ran by feel.  So, for the first 2.65 miles, I didn't even glance at the Garmin.
Here's the kicker... I had NO IDEA how fast I was going.  At times, I thought I might be keeping around a 10 minute pace, and at others I was afraid I was nearer 11 minute pace.  When I glanced down at the 2.65 mile mark and saw 9:20, I thought I was seeing things.  There is no way I can run that fast in a training run.  Right??

I managed to avoid FGP for the rest of the run, and as I entered my driveway and hit the stop button, the sweat was burning my eyes so bad that I could hardly read my final average:

9:23

Let's put that in perspective, shall we?
I ran my most recent 5K race at a 9:27 pace.
And my 5K PR (last Nov.) at a 9:06 pace!
But I just ran 5 whole miles at a 9:23 pace!!!
Yes, I am pumped! 

My next race is in 2 weeks.  It is a 10-miler that I am hoping to do in 1 hr 40 min or less (10 minute mile).
Two weeks ago I thought that goal might be a bit ambitious.  Now, I think I might just make it!

Have you had any TAPUURs lately?