Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston - I'll Never Know Thee

I just found out that the Boston Marathon is run on a Monday.  
Monday?? 
Really??
Apparently that is Boston's Patriot Day - 3rd Monday in April. 

I won't be there.  In fact, I've pretty much had to abandon the dream of ever running a full marathon.  I am a realist, and I must accept my body's limitations. 

I'm injury prone.

This isn't anything new.  I had periods of time in my early 30's with back pain so intense that I was unable to do much of anything for weeks at a time.  Thankfully, with the help of my chiropractor, I have been able to keep that under control for the past decade. 
When I started Zumba, I suffered knee problems, plantar fasciitis, and constant ankle strains.  Thanks to Astym (and my Physical therapist) - my PF and ankle pain were cured, and strength training helped with the knee problems.
When I started strength training I injured my rotator cuff and that took a couple of years to clear up.
And when I started running - hip pain became my nemesis.  Not to mention falling and breaking my fingers.

Yes, I am injury prone.
But I'd rather not focus on the negative.
I'd rather count my MANY blessings.
  1. I am able to run, dance, do yoga, etc.  So many people are unable to even attempt these things!  I think that sometimes, those who haven't suffered injury take for granted the miracle of just being able to work their body!  To be able to challenge their limits and see them expand!  That is an incredible feeling!
  2. I have fantastic insurance that (mostly) pays for Dr. visits, PT visits, chiropractic visits and even my post-race massages!
  3. I have the time to concentrate on running.
  4. I'm married to my running partner!  So often we'll be running side by side and I'll look over and just praise God that my husband loves and is able to run!  It transforms running from a fun exercise into a bonding activity.
  5. I have babysitters!  Back when my first 4 children were young, my husband and I could never get away to do much of anything together - let alone run.  But these days I have a grown daughter at home, another daughter who lives minutes from our running route, and a mother in law who lives nearby.    We are free to go to races or train without worrying about the little ones!
  6. I have money to pay race fees, buy CW-X compression wear and decent running shoes.

(Running the Zooma 1/2 marathon with broken fingers)

So, I may never run a marathon, but I just can't help but praise God for all the things I can do!  And today, I will be following the progress of several of my blogging buddies as they run the Boston Marathon.  Living vicariously through others - that's Blessing #7!

So, what are you thankful for?
Do you have plans to run Boston one day?